Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An Acoustic Memory

I grew up learning piano, percussion and singing. But for whatever reason the guitar continues to sing to me. I think an acoustic guitar is one of the most beautiful and enchanting instruments there is, at least with most of the kinds of music I prefer to listen to. Whenever anyone asks me about what instruments I play I always add that I am trying to teach myself guitar. That is true and not at the same time. I have taught myself enough chords while messing around to make some songs with the guitar and have a lot of fun jamming, but I really need to just take some lessons. I love the instrument so much that it is almost ridiculous that I have not taken the real time to learn it.

Funny how things work out though. I am now living in a big city where there are tons of places that I could learn guitar, but I also throw out the money excuse to hold me back. I tend to use that one a lot. I should have taken the time when I was in college with a lot of friends who know how to play the instrument and just asked them. Or hell, have taken a class on it at some point while I was in college studying MUSIC. But I was too caught up in my own world that the guitar fell by the wayside.

Maybe I should just buy one of those instructional videos. I saw one that tweaked my fancy at Barnes & Noble once by Esteban, but I never went for it. Again with the money. Either that or my ego telling me, "Hey you can learn guitar on your own. You can do without spending money on this. Spend your money on something with a quality level you can quantify. You would only be wasting your money if you bought this video that may not even help you." I think my ego is plotting against me at times, but that is a story for another day.

I think back to that day every once in a while and get mad at myself. Nothing should get in the way of your dreams and what you want to do with your life, least of all money. I should just buy it online, but I keep fighting myself on things and whether or not it would actually help me.

Maybe when my paycheck comes in this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment